An Tir Dearg
At a Glance
Greater Area Represented: St. George and southern Utah
Form of Governance: Council of Recognized Unit-elected members, plus a council-elected Realm Leader
Realm Leader :
Practice Time: Wednesdays 7pm to 10pm all year, no matter what the weather
Practice Location: Nisson Park in Washington, UT
Avg. Number of Fighters: ~30
An Tir Dearg was founded in February of 2009 when Isk returned to foam combat after a near 10-year hiatus. Attendance during the first month or so was light, but within two months it climbed into the double digits and has remained there ever since. Typical attendance at practice is around 30 active fighters (with the number as high as into the forties during summer and spring breaks) and as many as 15-20 spectators.
Yestare IX 05/09/09
War of the Forbidding V 06/13/09
War of Reckoning I (02/06/10)
Fool's Raid (04/03/10)
Yestare X (05/15/10)
Samhain VII (10/16/10)
War of Reckoning II (02/19/11)
Yestare XI (05/21/11)
Samhain VIII (10/08/2011)
The King's Tourney I (11/05/2011)
War of Reckoning III (02/25/2012)
Plan for our annual event, War of Reckoning (W.O.R.), the first weekend in February for some mid-winter fighting!
Administration, Awards, and Makeup
The following is the Realm Charter of An Tir Dearg:
Article 1: Name
- The name of this organization shall be An Tir Dearg Belegarth Medieval Combat Society, henceforth referred to as ATD.
Article 2: Objectives
- 2.1. To stimulate greater public interest in and public understanding of the techniques and goals of ATD.
- 2.2. To disseminate educational information to the public about the purpose and creative ideas behind the organization.
- 2.3. To provide a healthy, full-contact sport emulating pre-firearms group combat for the enjoyment of the Units and Members of ATD.
Article 3: Recognition
- 3.1. ATD shall adhere to all state, local and federal regulations under the laws set forth by the government of said State, Country, Province, Township, County, and Federal government and or any other pertinent government entity.
Article 4: Membership
- 4.1. Membership in ATD shall be open to all individuals and institutions that support the objectives of ATD and the Code of Ethical Guidelines established in the Bylaws of the organization, and/or the Unit to which the individual belongs.
- 4.2. Only a Member shall have the privilege and responsibility of holding office, of nominating and electing the Officers of the organization, and of being a representative at Realm Council. Members of individual units determine the representatives from their unit for the Realm Council.
- 4.3. Members in ATD shall affirm and adhere to the Code of Ethical Guidelines established in the Bylaws of the organization set forth by the Realm Council.
- 4.3.1. A Member whose acts are contrary to the objectives of ATD or the Code of Ethical Guidelines established in the Bylaws of ATD may be expelled or excluded from Membership by a majority vote of the Realm Council or the decision of the Realm Leader. A two-thirds (2/3) vote of the Realm Council is required to overturn the Realm Leader's decision.
- 4.3.2. A Member who strikes out at another person with intent to harm or anger may be suspended from participation for two (2) weeks by the marshall on the field or any Member of the Realm Council. The length of suspension may be increased from one to six (1-6) months if three (3) Realm Council Members present deem it appropriate.
- 4.4. Members of ATD must complete the appropriate Release Form and Contract Not to Sue.
- 4.5. Members must be at least 16 years of age.
Article 5: Dues
- 5.1. At the present time ATD will not charge any dues to any member. The choice to collect dues from members will be left to the Realm Council and may be changed at any time by a 2/3rds vote of that council. ATD may however charge a fee for any event in order to establish a fund to run the said event or the said event next year.
Article 6: Officers and Their Duties
- 6.1. The Officers of ATD shall be:
6.1.1. Realm Leader
- 18.104.22.168. Will work with the Realm Council, henceforth referred to as the RC, to ensure that all ATD rules are observed at all ATD events.
- 22.214.171.124. Will select Marshals for said events. In this case, the Realm Leader has the final veto right on ATD Marshals.
- 126.96.36.199. Shall oversee the progress of all Officers and issue any web site changes to the Webmaster should any need to be made.
- 188.8.131.52. Will "Chair” and oversee the running and rulings of the RC. He/she is responsible for calling a vote once the RC’s discussion is complete and will tally the votes. The Realm Leader may also call for a speaking limit on the representatives of the RC.
- 184.108.40.206. The Realm Leader may cast one vote independent of his or her Unit.
- 220.127.116.11. Will be responsible for the voting on the Realm Forum and must be able to tally votes accordingly.
- 18.104.22.168. Will be a contact person for new units.
- 22.214.171.124. Will perform all other duties usually associated with this office.
- 126.96.36.199. Must have earned the senior tabard. The RC may permit a candidate who holds only the initiate tabard to be put forward with a 2/3 majority vote.
- 188.8.131.52. Will be responsible for tracking attendance of Members at all practices and events attended by ATD. (If not in attendance, the RC may elect another to fulfill this obligation for the event).
- 184.108.40.206. Will be responsible for gathering and filing of needed paperwork, including but not limited to Member Release Forms.
- 220.127.116.11. Will fulfill any obligation that the Realm Leader is unable to accomplish or any task that the Realm Leader delegates.
- 18.104.22.168. The office will be able to assume control of all Realm Leader's powers & responsibilities at a national event should the Realm Leader not be able to attend.
- 22.214.171.124. Will be a contact person for new units.
- 126.96.36.199. Must have earned the Initiate Realm Tabard.
6.1.3 Realm Council Representatives
- 188.8.131.52. Each ATD Unit shall determine their Representatives for the Realm Council.
- 184.108.40.206. The RC shall consist of two delegates from each Unit. However only one may vote on any issue. Each Unit has only one vote. Realm Council representatives must have the means to access the internet at least once per week.
- 220.127.116.11. The RC shall determine the rules, and safety procedures that ATD requires.
- 18.104.22.168. The RC shall elect the Realm Officers.
- 22.214.171.124. The RC shall determine ATD Bylaws.
- 126.96.36.199. If the Secretary is not present, RC will select someone from its ranks to take accurate attendance at practices or events.
- 188.8.131.52. Must have earned the Initiate Realm Tabard.
Article 7: Installation and Removal of an Individual from a Realm Office
- 7.1. A person may hold a realm-level position of ATD only as long as the individual is able to properly perform the duties required for the fulfillment of said position.
7.1.1. Installation of New Officers
- 184.108.40.206. A person may be nominated for a Realm Office with a nomination and second from any two ATD Units. Nominations for new officers may be made in either the month of February or in the event of either a successful vote of no-confidence or the resignation of a current Realm Officer.
- 220.127.116.11. In the event that only one individual is successfully nominated, the motion shall adhere to the standard 7-day discussion period to allow for other nominations. If no other nominations or objections are raised during that time, the motion is considered passed with no vote necessary.
- 18.104.22.168. In the event that more than one individual is nominated for a Realm Office, all seconded candidates shall be considered during the same vote. A simple majority of half of the responding ATD Units shall be considered a successful election. If a nominee withdraws his or her candidacy, votes cast in said candidate's favor are considered as abstentions until those Units change their vote.
- 22.214.171.124. In the event that a plurality of candidates causes no single candidate to receive half of the responding realms’ votes by the end of the voting period, a secondary election shall be called in the manner of an emergency vote. Only the two candidates from the original election with the greatest number of votes shall be considered in this secondary election.
- 126.96.36.199 Realm Officer terms will be a minimum of one year; after one year has passed, the position will be opened for a vote at the next voting period. If an officer's term expires during a voting period, the vote will take place at the beginning of that voting period.
7.1.2. Removal of Officers
- 188.8.131.52. If the RC feels that a person is failing to discharge their responsiblities according to the criteria set by the RC, said person might be removed from office by having a Vote of No Confidence motioned and seconded by members of the War Council.
- 184.108.40.206. The vote will carry by a simple majority of the RC quorum voting yes to the removal of the person.
- 7.2. ATDRC will do its best to support the Realm Officers as well as general members of ATD.
Article 8: Referendum or Vote
- 8.1. Referendum vote may be held through the Realm Forum at any time upon the initiation of the Realm Council or Realm Leader. A Referendum petition must request and receive permission from said Realm Council.
Article 9: Online Voting Rules
- 9.1. The following rules are ONLY to be used for online meetings of Realm Council. These guidelines do not apply anywhere other than online in the Realm Council forums. All voting must take place in the Realm Council forum; no votes by phone or word-of-mouth will be allowed.
==== 9.2. Contact List ==== It will be the Secretary's responsibility to create and maintain an updated list of contact information of recognized ATD Units and/or their appointed designees. Phone information should also be obtained, in case it is necessary. An email mailing list may be made for this purpose. ==== 9.3. Motions ==== Only Realm Council Representatives and the Realm Leader may put forward or second a motion. ==== 9.4. Seconds ==== Once a motion is made, it must be seconded within 7 days. If a motion is not seconded within 7 days, a new motion will need to be made. ==== 9.5. Call to Vote ==== After a vote is seconded, a discussion will be conducted and a vote date set for 7 days after the motion was seconded. The Secretary must notify the Unit leader or appointed designee of every voting realm via email that a vote has been called. The original proposer of the motion may withdraw their motion at any time prior to the vote.
- 9.6. So long as rule 9.5 is adhered to, it is assumed that all Units are in attendance during any online RC business. If rule 9.5 is for any reason not adhered to, a quorum of 2/3 of all Recognized ATD Units must respond during the voting period in order for the motion to pass.
- 9.6.1. Non-responding Units will be considered as abstaining.
==== 9.7. Additions ==== As with normal RC proceedings, votes on new rules in the Bylaws, and adding new Recognized ATD Units requires a 2/3rds majority. The election of Realm officers is outlined in Article 7 above. ==== 9.8. Changes ==== As with normal Realm Council proceedings, changes to the Bylaws and removal of Recognized ATD Units require a 2/3rds majority. Votes of No-Confidence for Realm Officers are outlined in Article 7 above. ==== 9.9. Voting Period ==== After a vote begins, the vote will remain open for 21 days, unless extended.
- 9.9.1. A Unit may change its vote at any time during this period.
- 9.9.2. Votes or changes on the 22nd day or afterwards are discarded.
==== 9.10. Attending Units ==== A Recognized ATD Unit that participates must vote Yes, No, or Abstain. An abstention but will not count as a vote in support (for) or refusal (against) the motion in question. ==== 9.11. Non-voting Units ==== A Unit that does not respond at all within the voting period is still considered to be in attendance so long as rule 9.5 has been adhered to. Their vote shall be counted as an abstention. ==== 9.12. Close of Voting ==== At the end of the designated voting period, the Realm Leader (or another Realm Officer if the Realm Leader has delegated this duty) will count the vote tally and declare the outcome. ==== 9.13. Extensions ==== Any Recognized ATD Unit may request an extension on a vote on or before the 21st day of voting. They must provide a viable reason for this request.
- 9.13.1. It must be seconded on or before the 21st day of voting to take effect.
- 9.13.2. If the motion is made and seconded, voting will continue for 7 days past the end of the original voting period, making the voting period a total of 28 days.
- 9.13.3. A vote may only be extended once.
- 9.13.4. If a vote receives a unanimous response it may be closed, at the Realm Leader or his delegate's option, immediately.
==== 9.14. Emergency Votes ==== If a vote has been called on a motion and a quorum has not been reached by the close of voting, an emergency vote may be called at the Realm Leader's discretion (or Secretary's if and only if the issue is a Vote of No Confidence on the Realm Leader) within 7 days, so long as it meets the requisite criteria. The Realm Leader may only call emergency votes for the following reasons:
- 9.14.1. Election of Realm officers
- 9.14.2. Votes of No Confidence on Realm Officers.
- 9.14.3. Votes required due to pending litigation
- 9.14.4 Changes required to resolve a persistent deadlock situation which has lasted over at least 6 months and 3 votes where no quorum has been reached on any vote, other than previously called emergency votes. This may include votes for the addition of new Recognized ATD Units or temporary removal of negligent Units from the RC, but under no circumstances may an emergency vote be called for dissolution of the Realm Council.
- 9.15. In the event an emergency vote has been called, all Units will be contacted by the Secretary immediately and approximately 2 weeks into the voting period if they have not yet responded.
- 9.15.1. If necessary, alternate methods of contact such as telephone calls will be used. The emergency voting period will last for exactly 28 days.
- 9.15.2. So long as these procedures have been followed, all realms will be considered in attendance for the Emergency Vote.
==== 9.16. Proxy Votes ==== Proxy votes will not be allowed. RC votes must be submitted by the designated realm representatives. ==== 9.17. Parliamentary Authority ==== The Roberts Rules of Order, latest revision, shall be the governing authority in any matter not specifically covered by these by-laws.
Article 10: Finances
- 10.1. Each Unit is responsible for its own finances and must adhere to the appropriate state and federal laws.
- 10.2. In case of dissolution of the Realm, the assets will pay off all indebtedness and all creditors. Any remaining monies shall be given to the Belegarth Medieval Combat Society General Fund and no part of the net income or assets of this organization shall inure to the benefit of any private persons.
Article 11: Amendments
- 11.1. Any issue relevant to these bylaws may be reported by any member to the RC through a Realm Council representative.
Article 12: Code of Ethical Guidelines
- 12.1. The following guidelines shall be adhered to by ATD to advise the most ethical course of action in the various matters which may arise.
12.2. Ethical Responsibility to the Public
- 12.2.1. ATD members shall:
- 220.127.116.11. Recognize a primary commitment to present the public with any information that will promote ATD.
- 18.104.22.168 Actively support ATD by any means available under law.
- 22.214.171.124 Encourage the members of ATD to uphold the involvement of educational awareness of local Units and the disposition of materials for the growth of ATD.
- 126.96.36.199. Realm leaders are responsible for contacting local park services to insure all aspects of local law and codes are being maintained by ATD.
- 188.8.131.52. Encourage careful compliance with procedures specified in state and federal law regarding the use of lands or facilities for the purpose of ATD populace.
- 12.3. An ATD member shall not:
- 12.3.1 Advocate destruction of any site or cause damage to any area in which ATD is using.
- 12.3.2. Allow his or her name to be used in the support of illegal or unethical activity in which any ATD event is taking place.
- 12.3.3. Knowingly misrepresent oneself as "qualified" in matters for which there is a reasonable doubt of qualification such as weapons checker, marshal, medical personnel, or any other office at the Unit, Realm or National levels.
- 12.3.4. Violate any local or federal laws while at an ATD event.
- 12.2.1. ATD members shall:
Article 13: Policy of Non-Discrimination
- 13.1. Belegarth shall be non-profit and nonsectarian. There shall be no discrimination in membership, employment or services due to race, color, sex, age, lifestyle, religion, national origin, sexual orientation, mental disability, or physical disability.
- 13.2. ATD retains the right to refuse participation in simulated combat to members with medical conditions that would pose a safety risk to themselves or other members. The risk is to be determined by the head Marshal of the event being participated in. This ruling shall apply only to simulated combat and will not bar any person from any other aspect of participation.
Article 14: ATD Units
==== 14.1. Definition of a Unit ==== A group of Members choosing to identify themselves together.
14.2. An active Recognized ATD Unit
- 14.2.1. Must have and maintain at least three (3) active Members for a three-month period. An active member is defined as a person who participates in Realm activities (attending practices at least once a month) and represents ATD during inter-realm events.
- 14.2.2. Must register with ATD and submit a Release Form. Either by contacting an Officer of ATD, and/or ATD online message boards.
- 14.2.3. The Unit leader and his Second must have earned the Initiate Realm Tabard.
- 14.2.4. Must use the rules for combat based on those contained within the Book of War of Belegarth Medieval Combat Society. A Unit may develop Unit-specific rules. However, the Realm rules will be used during any ATD activity.
14.3. Becoming a Recognized ATD Unit
- 14.3.1 Meet all the criteria from section 14.2.
- 14.3.2. An Officer of ATD, and/or voting member of ATDRC must initiate a motion and follow the online voting rules outlined in Section 9 before the new Unit is granted a seat on ATDRC.
- 14.3.3. Once the ATD Unit has been recognized it will be added to the Units List sticky thread.
14.4. Removal of an ATD Unit
- 14.4.1. If for some reason a Unit does not fulfill the requirements of section 14.2 ATDRC may remove that Unit’s voting status until such requirements are met. A 2/3 majority of all Recognized ATD Units is required.
- 14.4.2. If a Unit knowingly violates local or federal law, the Unit may lose voting rights by order of ATDRC.
- 14.4.3. If a Unit is dissolved, or states its wish to no longer be associated with ATD, ATDRC may revoke its voting rights.
- 14.4.4. A Unit may voluntarily choose to reduce its status from voting to speaking rights. To regain its voting rights, it must follow the procedures in sections 14.2 and 14.3 of this article.
- 14.4.5. To remove a Unit from its right to vote is a voluntary action by ATDRC and therefore is not mandated.
Realm Tabards and Awards
The An Tir Dearg Tabard or belt flag are worn as symbols of a fighter's dedication to the sport of Belegarth as a whole and the realm of An Tir Dearg in particular, with the belt flag being the official method of distinction of accomplishment so that those who wish to wear unit tabards or garb may preserve their individual look and still be readily identified. The tabard will be available for those who wish to wear it and will serve the same function as the belt flag. The official colors and description of the initiate tabard are a black background with a red "ATD" over the left breast, and a gold or silver epaulette worn on the right shoulder by the Realm Leader and Realm Council members respectively. The official colors and description of the belt flag are a black background with a centered red "ATD". The coloration of the senior versions differs only in that the "ATD" is gold. The tabard presently offers two layers of achievement. The requirements outlined below are intended to demonstrate that a fighter has shown determination to develop for themselves and then for others a solid foundation of quality equipment, rules knowledge, fighting skill and consistent participation at An Tir Dearg practices and inter-realm events.
The realm leadership hopes that all fighters within the realm would seek to obtain the initiate tabard as a mark of their respect for the realm and the sport and a pledge of their own intention to continually improve their skills. Seeking the senior tabard will hopefully be of interest to all tabard holders as they increase their dedication and reach out to bring others into the sport. Earning the initiate tabard is only mandatory for unit and realm leadership. Any fighter willing to follow the rules of the Book of War of the Belegarth Medieval Combat Society as interpreted by An Tir Dearg is welcome to participate in the realm's practices and events without pursuing the recognition of the Realm tabard.their respect for the realm and the sport and a pledge of their own intention to continually improve their skills. Seeking the senior tabard will hopefully be of interest to all tabard holders as they increase their dedication and reach out to bring others into the sport. Earning the initiate tabard is only mandatory for unit and realm leadership. Any fighter willing to follow the rules of the Book of War of the Belegarth Medieval Combat Society as interpreted by An Tir Dearg is welcome to participate in the realm's practices and events without pursuing the recognition of the Realm tabard.
Use of the ATD Logo
In order to maintain a sense of respect for the commitment made by tabard holders, use of the Realm logo ("ATD") in any way or color on a fighter's personal garb or gear separately from the official tabard/belt flag is permissible only if said fighter is a current tabard holder within An Tir Dearg. Such use is subject to approval of the Realm Council for appropriateness and general appearance and must be easily discernible from the official Realm tabard and belt flag in both style and color. Non-tabard holders may be loaned an official Realm tabard to wear at events, if any are available and at the discretion of Realm Council members present, as a means of easy identification on the field of battle.
The tabard trials will be held every even month of the year at the first regularly scheduled practice on Wednesday night. Any deviation from this schedule will be announced on the forum by the realm leadership. All participants will be expected to meet the requirements below when supplicating for each of the tabards. No Realm member who is under any disciplinary or restrictive measure from the Council is eligible to apply for the tabard until such measures are resolved.
All candidates must have attended nine practices within the three months (13 weeks) immediately preceding the trial. An exception may be approved by the realm council if the Realm Council feels the spirit of the requirement has been met and the missed practice was well justified.
The candidate must possess and wear to the trial full fighting garb following the guidelines in the Belegarth Medieval Combat Society's Book of War and the discretion of the Realm Council. No armor may be worn during the trials.
The candidate must also possess their own complete set of weaponry for their primary combat style in the trial. The weaponry for the secondary style must either belong to the candidate themselves or be from the shared weapons of the candidate's unit, not another fighter's own gear.
The candidate must correctly answer 18 out of 20 questions in a written test drawn from the Belegarth Medieval Combat Society's Book of War. Additionally, the candidate must correctly perform checks on a blue sword, a flail, a red weapon, a javelin, a spear, an arrow, a piece of leather armor, a piece of chain armor, and a helmet in front of at least one of the Council members present in accordance with all rules in the Book of War. These include, but are not limited to template, weight, measurements of haft padding, looseness from core, and hit test. Three of the items will have been predetermined to fail check by the Council. If a candidate does not identify all of these weapons then the test is failed. A candidate may incorrectly fail two weapons that have been predetermined to pass if he can explain his reasoning.
The candidate must choose two styles of fighting they will use to pass the tabard trial. These styles must be substantially different from one another and an active shield may only be used in one style. A passive shield could potentially be used in both styles, but would need to be reviewed by the Realm Council.
The candidate must successfully win a minimum of five out of ten, 1 v 1 encounters with each combat style. Opponents will be selected from those who have recently received their tabard or are soon to test for their tabard so that this is a test against the candidate's peers.
Three of the encounters in each set of ten must be against an opponent using a sword and shield, and another three encounters in each set must be against an opponent using a red weapon or dual-weapon style. The remaining four encounters in each set may be against any weapon style, so long as at least three encounters in each set of ten are against an opponent using the same weapon style set as the candidate.
If the candidate fails either or both of the ten round encounters they may re-test as many times as necessary the same day. Each time they must fight through all ten encounters before beginning again to attempt the set they failed. The knowledge component of the trial may only be attempted once per trial day. If the candidate still cannot pass any part of the trial by the end of the allotted time they will be able to reattempt at the next scheduled trials.
All candidates must have attended forty practices within the year (fifty-two weeks) immediately preceding the trial. An exception may be approved by the realm council if the Realm Council feels the spirit of the requirement has been met and the missed practice was well justified.
Additionally, a supplicant for the senior tabard should have represented the realm to the larger world of Belegarth by attending at least three inter-realm events within the previous fifty-two weeks.
The candidate must possess and be willing to loan at least two extra sets of full fighting garb following the guidelines in the Belegarth Medieval Combat Society's Book of War and the discretion of An Tir Dearg realm council.
Additionally the supplicant must personally own, maintain, bring to practice and be willing to loan at least 6 pieces of fighting equipment. For the purposes of fulfilling this requirement a shield or red weapon may be counted as two pieces and weapons under 24" will count as one half. Archery equipment is inappropriate for meeting this requirement.
Knowledge and Service
The candidate must herald for at least one hour during regularly scheduled realm practices at least once a month during the preceding fifty-two weeks. Therefore the candidate will have formally acted as a herald, donning the yellow tabard and becoming a non-combatant, on at least 12 separate occasions with no more than a 5 week lapse between the occasions, the first eligible practice or the most recent practice.
Combat Mastery and Other Awards
The realm council would also like to recognize the development of superior combat skill, service to the realm and some less serious "achievements." The requirements for these are still under discussion, but an outline of the expected list of awards follows:
Combat Skill Awards
Primary Weapon Categories:
- Single Blue Mastery
- Red Mastery
- Blue and Board Mastery
- Dual Weapon Mastery
- Green Mastery
- Win 8/10 duels with their weapon set against other tabard holders (cannot fight the same tabard holder with the same weapon set twice)
- At least 5 must be against the same weapon
- At least 3 must be against sword and board
- Win 5/10 duels against 2 opponents, also tabard holders
Secondary Weapon Categories:
- Javelin Mastery
- Kill a human target at 35ft on 8/10 throws.
- Standing outside a 35' circle while 6 tabard holders fight a free-for-all inside, kill at least 3 of them before there is a single fighter using 5 javs or less.
- Archery Mastery
- Kill a human target at 50ft on 8/10 shots.
- Standing outside a 35' circle while 6 tabard holders fight a free-for-all inside, kill at least 3 of them before there is a single fighter using 5 arrows or less.
- 4-man Team Mastery
- As a team of 4 tabard holders, win 8/10 matches against other 4 man teams of tabard holders or other fighters of appropriate skill if not from our realm.
- No two opposing teams should contain exactly the same members with exactly the same kit.
- Fighting pitch is restricted to a 30ft area with no reusable missiles.
- No armor is permitted, but any legal selection of weapons or shields is perfectly acceptable.
- No bout may run longer than 5 minutes.
- Garb Mastery
- Armor Mastery
- Heralding Mastery
- Injury Award
- Years of Participation
- Exemplary Service
Requirements are still forthcoming for these awards.
Our Website & Forum: http://www.antirdearg.com